Friday, September 11, 2009

hacked

Last Friday night after my wonderful cake and wine dinner with Jennifer at Olive Garden, I came home to find that I had been hacked! 

I check my accounts and emails VERY regularly. In fact, email is one of the best ways to get in touch with me. Anyway, I was checking my email when I got home (like a nerd) and saw that I had been charged 3 different times on paypal. Those of you that use or have used Paypal know that you always receive an email notifying you that the transaction was completed. That's great and all, but I didn't make any transactions. Especially not $900 worth. 

I immediately called Dad. Of course I was trying not to be hysterical because let's be honest, I DON'T have an extra $900 to lose. He told me how to dispute the transactions and I also changed my password as well as deleted my cards from my Paypal account. 

I will give Paypal credit, they jumped right on it and the transactions were reversed within the hour. However, they said it was caught before my bank account was charged. Well, guess what? I checked my bank account online yesterday and I was charged. NICE! So, I immediately contacted Paypal, and was reassured that I would be fully refunded by Monday morning. In the meantime, I'm broke. :( 

Anyway, although I was hacked, I still believe Paypal is a very safe website to use for money transactions. If you are hacked, which can happen to anyone, you will be refunded and taken care of! 

10 comments:

Classy Fab Sarah said...

Change your passwords!

When I was hacked (not through paypal)... they hacked other accounts with passwords.

So just to be safe... I'd change passwords.

The Pink Chick said...

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear this! I am glad to hear it is being cleared up, but what a hassle! You poor thing!

Lyryn said...

OH my word. That totally sucks! Totally! I hope you didn't get over draft charges or anything because of it. That is just terrible!! So sorry!!

Annie said...

that's so scary! i hope that everything gets worked out asap!!
i had major bank drama this week as well....it gets frustrating but there is only so much they can do in a quick amount of time.

hope you have a GREAT weekend girly!! :)

Niki said...

That's awful!! Glad they were able to fix it for you though:)

Katy said...

My mom booked a hotel through hotels.com and had her stuff stolen. It's so crazy thinking that those "safe" sites really aren't that safe.

Rachel said...

Oh no! That's horrible! Well I'm glad it's being taken care of for you at least... but still. That SUCKS! :(

Anonymous said...

ahh I am so sorry!! I totally just watched the video you had posted (and then deleted, hehe) but I could not believe that! I hadn't heard about that! well since it was tonight not wonder :) But as for the hacking accounts, I am SOOO sorry!! I am glad they fixed everything right away but sad you have no money this weekend.

Anonymous said...

That is so scary! I'm sorry girl. Hope it all works out.

Whitney said...

Oh my gosh! This makes me so nervous! I'm glad Paypal stepped up and is handling it the correct way!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails