I think I've been saying I would show pictures of the bedding and different things in the nursery for months now. But now that it's pretty much complete, I really want to show it off. A LOT of thought and even more hard work (mainly on Dustin's part) went into this room. I can honestly say, we've never been prouder of a room in our home. We both go in there all the time and just look at it. :)
The first thing we had to do was clean out the room. Previously it was our office/ catch all room. It was horrible and had no real purpose which always drove me crazy. I was happy to redo it. Then Dustin wanted to rip out the carpet and stain the floors like we had done to the living room and hallway. I was happy about this idea because I really wanted to have a fun rug in there instead of carpet. I think mom found the rug at Target for $20 or less. Great find! After the week long process of doing the floors, Dustin painted all the trim and doors with a fresh coat. All this prep work was taking so long that I thought we would never get to the decorating part!
The vision for this room all started with the bedding. I saw the adorable bedding long before I knew we would have a girl. So once we knew, I was excited to start planning out the rest of the room. I really loved the fun, whimsical look of the bedding. I wanted to mix fun with soft and girly. You know, like a trendy princess room! We were very blessed by a good friend that gave us the crib.
Then I was in search of some sort of dresser that could double as a
changing table in the beginning. I knew we would most likely find
something old and refinish it. My mom had the idea of us taking an extra dresser that she had in her house and redoing it. However, the top drawer was missing. In my opinion it was too tall to be a changing table so Dustin was able to cut the top drawer space off and make it into a 3 drawer dresser that would be the perfect height. We also got a smaller side table/ dresser that was very similar from my parents. Dustin refinished both pieces and I think they match perfectly. I initially thought I wanted a light turquoise color on the walls. But I ended up deciding that I wanted the furniture to be turquoise. Because of this, I had to change my wall color ideas.
When deciding on a wall color, I knew I would go with pink since the furniture would now be turquoise. I just really didn't want loud pink walls. I wanted the pop of color coming from the bedding and dressers, not the entire room. I decided on a very pale pink. It gives the walls just enough color without being too pink. I love the soft, girly look of it.
For the window, I knew I wanted white ruffle curtains from the very beginning. Finding them wasn't quite as easy. The Pottery Barn ones are crazy expensive. I entertained the idea of mom and I making the ones you see on Pinterest. We decided it wasn't going to be an easy task and therefore just not worth it. I finally found some online that I loved for a good price but they were out of stock every time I checked. It took almost 2 months before I could finally order. I'm absolutely in love with them and I think they make the room.
The chandelier is probably my favorite thing in the nursery. I really really wanted one but didn't think we would get one. I just couldn't stomach the expense when we had so much else to do. But, the light fixture that was already in the room was hideous and needed to be replaced with something. Dustin actually is the one that said this room needs a chandelier. I lucked out and found this one online at Home Depot on some closeout sale. It was perfect so I jumped on it! Poor Dustin spent almost 2 hours putting it together. Each crystal was in its own package. But he was a good sport about it.
Another thing that I adore in her nursery is the monogram that hangs above the crib. It took me forever to make a decision on what I wanted above the crib. I knew it would be something with her name or monogram. I found quite a few ideas that I liked but nothing just wowed me until I came across the wooden monograms on Etsy. I knew that was it! The guy on Etsy that made it is amazing. He has the best prices by far on Etsy and was super fast. I definitely recommend him!
The paintings that hang above the changing dresser are super special to me. My cousin Caroline painted them special for Ashlyn and wrote the sweetest letter to her on the back. I told her I wanted to some how incorporate birds into the nursery and she made it happen in the most perfect way. Isn't she talented?
This rocking chair was in my nursery as a baby and then it was in my classroom for a while. I knew I had to find a place for it in the nursery. I still need to find some sort of cushion for it. Also, I want to put some sort of shelf on the wall to the left of the window near the rocking chair. I just haven't had time to find one I like yet.
The closet needs some organization so I didn't take pictures of it. But it's filled to the brim already with cute clothes for the next year. She is one spoiled little girl!
Well I hope you all love her nursery even half as much as we do. I'm so thrilled to see my vision become a reality. Dustin did such an amazing job making all my ideas come to life. I think we make a pretty good design team! It's been so fun seeing him work so hard on something so special. That little girl has her Daddy wrapped around her finger already. :)
Bedding: My Baby Sam Pixie Aqua
Curtains: Gypsy Shabby Chic Ruffle in white
Monogram: Etsy shop League of Letters
Chandelier: Home Depot online (no longer on sale)
Paintings: Caroline Beyer
Paint: Ballerina Gown (walls) and Sweet Rhapsody (dressers) both by Behr





















9 comments:
I adore this!!!!! Just absolutely perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) What a labor of love and it turned out gorgeous!
This is beautiful! You guys did a great job!
So so so beautiful! Love the bedding, chandelier, curtains and paintings. And monogram! What a lucky little girl;)
It's SO cute! :)
Absolutely beautiful nursery! I love the colors and the ruffled curtain! Seeing rooms like this makes me want a little girl :)
I love it!
I love the monogram and chandelier combo:))
I think the curtains were well worth the wait!
Think it came together nicely!!!
oh it is precious!! love the colors and the monogram is adorable!
It looks great! Very classy and pretty!
Post a Comment